As winter gives up its fight and spring arrives in the green mountains of Vermont, we are given a renewed sense of energy. The days are longer, the snow is softer, the skies are sunnier, and the town centers are bursting with a fun spring vibe. Visiting our Oasis properties in the months of April and May will allow you to get in those last great experiences on the mountain, sample Vermont’s culinary delights, explore the nearby hidden gems before the busy tourist season, and make unforgettable memories with friends and family. Here are our top 10 favorite Spring Activities for 2022 to help you plan ahead for your trip and finish the season strong!
1. The Stowe Sugar Slalom (April 2 & 3, 2022): Celebrate the arrival of spring and Vermont maple sugaring season with one of the most recognized alpine races in America, The Stowe Sugar Slalom. The two-day event, which features music, a barbecue on the hill, ski racing for all abilities, and festive costumes, attracts over 1,000 avid racers and just as many spectators! And to top it all off, the race also features a unique Vermont treat - maple sugar-on-snow, donuts, and pickles at the finish line!
2. Complimentary Heritage Tours (Stowe 85th Anniversary): In honor of Stowe’s 85th Anniversary, take a free, guided, intermediate-level ski tour! Explore Mount Mansfield and Spruce Peak with an expert guide and uncover stories from Stowe Resort’s past. Not only will you learn how Stowe evolved from a summer escape to an iconic year-round destination, but you will also hear all about the famous names that are still used on the trails today. *Tours depart from the Spruce Peak Village at 10:00am on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Note: Sign up with a Guide prior to departure to lock in your spot. These tours are based on a first come, first serve basis. Each tour will take a max of 4 guests to ensure a safe enjoyable experience.
3. Easter Sunrise Service (April 17, 2022): Take an early morning Gondola ride to the top of Mt. Mansfield for a non-denomination Easter Sunrise Service to end the winter season. Watch the sunrise from just below “the chin” of Vermont’s highest peak, a true Stowe tradition.
4. Stowe Farmer’s Market Winter Market at Stowe Cider (April 23, 2022): The Stowe Farmers’ Market offers an incredible assortment of local fresh meats, cheese, milk, maple syrup, bread and baked goods, pickles, flowers, herbal products, mushrooms, fermented vegetables, thirst quenching beverages, mead and spirits. Craft producers offer stunning handmade jewelry, bags, pottery, photography, slate works, glass work, collages, paintings and more.
5. Try Snowshoeing: The longer days of spring give you plenty of time to ski all day and discover new activities before the sun goes down. Snowshoeing is one of our favorite activities in the spring season and a great way to take in the beautiful mountain scenery. Head to Trapp Family Lodge for the gorgeous views overlooking Stowe. The von Trapp family (yes, the same von Trapp family from the film The Sound of Music) settled in Stowe, Vermont in the 1940s and opened this Austrian-inspired property complete with a brewery and bierhall . After your snowshoeing adventure, enjoy some fresh von Trapp lagers, wursts, and Bavarian pretzels.
6. Stroll Through the Village: The downtown area of Stowe truly looks like a postcard. The charming Main Street complete with a white-steepled church is the perfect place to stroll with your loved ones. Browse the many locally owned boutiques, craft, and antique shops, or grab some food and refreshments at one of Stowe’s famous dining establishments.
7. Mountain Biking with 4 Points: If you’re looking for mountain bike lessons or guided mountain bike tours in Stowe, head to 4 Points. Experienced cyclists will enthuse about the two hour guided trips that take bikers to the best trails in the Stowe area. Beginner cyclists can take part in private or group lessons that acclimate new riders to mountain biking. They even offer microbrewery tours, which involve three hours of mountain biking, lunch, and visits and samples at four breweries.
8. Sample Vermont’s Culinary Delights: Vermont has some amazing things to eat, and the drive along historic Route 100 between Waterbury and Stowe offers several attractions for foodies! A favorite among visitors is the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory, where you can head inside for a tour and sample their delicious ice cream flavors. Just down the road, the Cabot Farmer’s Store offers the best cheese ever! Be sure to sample their famous cheddar cheese, plus the 20 other flavors they offer in the store. This is a perfect spot to purchase some gifts for family and friends, as the store is stocked with all kinds of Vermont products: wine, beer, cider, jams, jellies, crackers, syrup, and more. Directly next door, sample some spirits at the Smuggler’s Notch Distillery or chocolate treats at Lake Champlain Chocolates. A few minutes further down the road is the Cold Hollow Cider Mill, a destination for apple lovers. They make the best apple cider, amazing apple cider donuts, and now offer hard cider that you can sample right on the property. If you still have room in your belly, enjoy a hot beverage at the European-style coffee bar located at the Vermont Artisan Coffee & Tea Company. A maple latte is always a delicious choice!
9. Hike Stowe: The mountains of Stowe are an excellent destination for those who enjoy hiking. There are a range of trails that will suit various levels of experience. The Long Trail, which traverses Vermont from north to south, runs across Mount Mansfield in Stowe. You can climb to the top of Mansfield via a few different trailheads, two of which are in Smuggler’s Notch. If the weather cooperates and you are feeling adventurous, take the 90-minute hike to Stowe Pinnacle for amazing views or head to Sterling Pond. For a shorter hike, head to the area waterfalls, Bingham Falls and Moss Glen Falls.
10. Unwind with a Massage: After a long hike we recommend unwinding with a massage or spa treatment. The Spa at The Stoweflake has 35,000 square feet of space and dozens of treatments available. Spend hours enjoying the steam rooms, sauna, jacuzzi, mineral baths, and quiet spaces. Our favorite feature of the spa is the Aqua Solarium, a rock-lined, warm-water pool modeled after Bingham Falls. Sit underneath the 12-foot cascading waterfall and enjoy a therapeutic massage for your neck and shoulders.
#SpringActivities #Stowe #StoweVermont #VermontLife #StoweSugarSlalom #HeritageTours #EasterSundayService #StoweFarmersMarket #WinterMarket #TrappFamilyLodge #Stoweflake #BinghamFalls #MossGlenFalls #BenandJerrys #CabotCheese #SmugglersNotchDistillery #LakeChamplainChocolates #ColdHollowCiderMill #VermontArtisan